Saudi Arabia has announced to hold the Hajj pilgrimage in Makkah under special conditions to contain the coronavirus pandemic.
The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah of Saudi Arabia made the disclosure in a statement on Sunday (May 9).
The Hajj will be held in a manner that preserves the health and safety of pilgrims, in line with the health, security and regulatory controls and standards, so that pilgrims can perform their rituals in a safe environment, the ministry said.
A ministry spokesman said the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia would announce the mechanism and conditions for this year’s Hajj pilgrimage at a later date.
“Health authorities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia continue to assess the situation and are taking all measures to ensure the safety of all,” the spokesman said in the statement.
About 2.5 million Muslims from all over the world go to Saudi Arabia for Hajj every year. For the first time in modern history, foreigners were not allowed to perform the Hajj last year due to the coronavirus epidemic. Last year, only a limited number of Saudi nationals and foreigners were allowed to perform the Hajj.